The admissions processes for our three master's options vary. Students applying to the Master’s program in Computer Science must apply online. Instructions for each program are available below.
Please note: The application period for entry for Fall 2018 will begin in September 2017
The Master of Science in Computer Science program uses the School of Computer Science online application for admissions. Students are admitted for the fall semester and cannot begin in the spring.
Applications and all supporting documents, including letters of recommendation, must be received by the final deadline of Thursday, December 15. You may submit your application by noon (12:00pm) EST on Thursday, December 1, to avoid higher application fees.
If you submit your application and pay the required fee by noon (12 p.m.) EST November 30, the application fee is $75 for one program and $50 for each additional program. At 12:01 p.m. EST on November 30, the application fee increases to $125 for one program and $75 for each additional program. The early deadline does not imply an early decision. You may continue to edit your application until the final deadline of noon (12 p.m.) EST December 14.
You must submit the following with your application.
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores.
- If your native language is not English, then you must submit a TOEFL. A successful applicant will normally have a total iBT score of at least 100.
- A PDF of your most recent transcript from each college and/or university you attended, even if no degree was granted.
- Your resume in PDF format.
- Your Statement of Purpose — a concise one- or two-page essay describing your primary research interests, related experiences and objective in pursuing a Masters in computer science.
- Three letters of recommendation, at least two of which are from faculty or recent employers.
For more on the application process, please refer to the SCS Online Graduate Application Instructions.
Fifth Year Master’s Program
The Fifth Year Master’s Program is administered by the Computer Science Department, but students can elect to complete research projects in areas throughout the School of Computer Science. A formal application should be made by the middle of the fall semester of the your senior year.
The program has two admissions cycles for academic year 2017-2018.
Application deadline for the first cycle is Wednesday, October 11, 2017.
Decisions will be announced Friday, November 10, 2017.
Application deadline for the second cycle is Wednesday, January 17, 2018.
Decisions will be announced Wednesday, February 14, 2018.
The Fifth Year Master’s Program is open only to undergraduate students in the School of Computer science completing a B.S. or major in Computer Science. Students must provide
- A second letter of recommendation from another faculty member or outside source.
- A two-page statement that offers an overview of your career goals, an overview of your research experience and how it prepared you for the program, and a description of the research plan you intend to complete if accepted.
- A copy of your Carnegie Mellon transcript.
How to Apply
Complete the application and advisor form. Once completed, deliver the forms and all required components to Tracy Farbacher, 7117 Gates Center for Computer Science. You can also mail them to:
School of Computer Science
Carnegie Mellon University
c/o Tracy Farbacher
7117 Gates Center for Computer Science
5000 Forbes Avenue Pittsburgh, PA 15213
Students wishing to earn an undergraduate computer science degree and an MBA in five academic years can apply to the Accelerated MBA program in the Tepper School of Business. Admissions information and requirements can be found on Tepper's web site.